Find the Right Plastic Surgeon
STEP 1: Find a board certified plastic surgeon
You will want to find a board certified doctor. However, do not assume that all surgeons who claim to be “board certified” have the same training. Be sure that your doctor is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (the ABPS). In Canada, you’ll want to find a physician who is certified by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
Don’t be fooled by other professional sounding boards. If a doctor is certified by the ABPS this means that they are certified in plastic surgery and have met the following requirements:
- they have earned a degree from an accredited medical school
- they have completed 3 years of general surgery
- they have completed 2-3 years of supervised residency in plastic surgery
- they have had at least 2 years of professional practice,
- they have passed rigorous written and oral exams (only about 70% of physicians who take the test pass it).
The ABPS is recognized and overseen by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) and sets high education and training standards.
By choosing a doctor that is ABPS certified you are not guaranteed to have no disappointments, complications or risks, but it is a good starting point.
« Previous Section: Average Total Costs Next Section: The Consultation »
View Before and After Photos